Heating Oil Tank Inspection

Back to News

Heating Oil Tank Inspection

Tate Oil is proudly part of the FPS (Federation of Petroleum Suppliers). The FPS recently joined forces with OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association) to launch the Tank Safe Campaign . The campaign is helping oil-heated homeowners to do a regular Heating Oil Tank Inspection, making sure their storage tanks are safe and fit for purpose.

The campaign features information on the Oilsave website for homeowners, oil distributors and service technicians and there is a short information video for homeowners on the Oilsave You Tube channel.

Unlike LPG tanks, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain oil tanks on their property and to avoid them failing.

Spills and leaks can be extremely costly to clean up and can contaminate ground water supplies and building foundations.

What you should look for during a heating oil tank inspection?

Conduct a quick visual check every few months for any of the following warning signs:

  • Rust
  • Cracks
  • Splits
  • Bulging
  • Subsidence on the base
  • Gauges falling over or not working
  • Unusual oil smell
  • Sudden usage increase
  • Remove any foliage and over hanging branches

FPS Driving Oil distribution forward

Annual servicing

A tank inspection should be performed annually at the time of boiler service.

Your service engineer will check your tank’s general condition and look for the presence of water/condensation, which will collect at the bottom. If condensation is present, it will be stirred upon oil delivery and may be carried down to the boiler resulting in a breakdown.

An OFTEC registered technician will provide a report on the condition of your tank detailing observations and any actions you may need to take to prevent an oil pollution incident occurring.

Other important factors to consider:

  • Does my home insurance cover me?
  • What could happen in the event of leak or overspill?
  • Who would pay the clean-up costs?
  • How much is a new tank?

What should I do if my tank is damaged?

  • Have an OFTEC registered technician fit a new steel or plastic bunded tank, preferably with a top feed oil supply arrangement.
  • Make arrangements to have your new oil tank maintained on an annual basis.

Why should I do it?

  • You will be saving money, protecting your property and eliminating the risk of any pollution.

Who should I contact?

  • An FPS Fuel Distributor or OFTEC registered installer.

When should I do it?

  • As soon as possible

More FAQ’s

Share this post

Back to News